|Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)
Photo courtesy David Brown & Michael Porter
Jack was born in July 1891; his parents were John Alfred and Ann Porter. Before the war he was a member of Crich United Football Club. He was a limestone quarryman who was one of the first to enlist in the Foresters in 1914 . He joined the 17th Battalion Sherwood Foresters in October 1915 and entered France in March 1916. Although wounded in his left hand he was back in the trenches two weeks later. In October 1916 he was again wounded by shrapnel through the neck, narrowly missing his jugular vein, and was returned to England for hospital treatment before being discharged as unfit for further service in February 1919. He was awarded the Silver War Badge. Jack married Rosie Allen in November 1918 at Belper. She died in 1967 and Jack died eight years later in 1975 .
Jack was one of the first Crich recruits enrolling in October 1914. The photographs show these first recruits in the garden of Roskeen, home to the village doctors
The following photographs, postcards and memorabilia are courtesy of Michael Porter
Like many soldiers he sent and received postcards.
Documentations relating to Jack Porter:
During WW2 Jack was in the Home Guard.
Derbyshire Courier, 30 August 1913
Although accepted as members of the Erewash league, the United, under the ruling of the D.F.A.will again be members of the Matlock Junior League. Possessed of practical members on the committee, an enthusiastic secretary in Mr W. H. Perry, and a good list of serviceable players, the club is hoping to occupy a high position in the league table. Mr Maurice Deacon is the president, and Dr G.G. Macdonald and Mr G.C. Birch are vice-presidents. The committee is comprised of: Messrs. D.M. Brown (chairman), G.V. Ferguson (vice-chairman), Hy. Holtham, Hy. Wetton, F. Ward, Jos. Perry, F. Whitehead, F. and J. Porter, Isaac and William Coleman, C. Harper, I. Hartstone and Jas. Mellors. The majority of last season's players are retained and include A. Crowder (vice-chairman), John Curzon, A. Leafe, Luke Coleman, Tom Coleman, Vernon and Tom Greenhough, D. Cooke, and Wm. Rowe. New players include Jas. Amatt (late Holloway, who is to captain the team and who should provide prove a valuable acquisition), J. Hudson (Holloway), S. Taylor (goal), and A. Matthews (Whatstandwell), while the services of Mr G.C. Birch have been promised. Several other signatures are expected and although the club has lost the services of F. Mellors, who was been signed on by Sheffield Wednesday, Sam Taylor should prove a valuable substitute. The headquarters of the club are at the Black Swan Hotel, and the ground is Jefferies Lane Field. Financially the club is on the right side, a small balance of being in hand.
Mr J. Mellors is appointed groundsmen. And the contract for conveyance of players is let to Mr F. Davis of Holloway. Cup and Medal competitions have been entered for. The first home league match is on Wakes Saturday, Oct. 11th, when Slaley will be entertained.
His marriage was reported in newspaper
Derbyshire Courier, 16 November 1918
CRICH, LEA, & HOLLOWAY.
On Thursday of last week, at Belper, the wedding took place of Corpl. John W Porter, eldest son of Mrs A.Porter, of Bottom Side, and Miss Rosie Allen, eldest daughter of Mr Samuel Allen of the Tors, Crich. The bridegroom was one of the first group to enlist from Crich, and has nearly 4 years service in France. The bridesmaids were bride's sister, Miss Mabel Alan, and Miss Annie Porter, the bridegroom's sister. Mr Fred Porter brother of the bridegroom was best man. After the ceremony a reception was held at the home of the bride. The bridegroom left to rejoin his regiment on Sunday.
Owing to the illness of the vicar the services at Crich Parish Church were conducted by the Rev. James Williams on Sunday. Mr Williams, who was been cureate in the parish for several years is a chaplain with the forces.
Medal Index Card
He was awarded the Victory and British War Medals; also the Silver War Badge
Silver War Badge
31287, Corporal Poter, John William: Badge B110583, Enlisted 6.10.15 Discharged 4.2.19 sickness Para 392 xvi
1901: Hagg Farm, Crich
|John A||Porter||Head||39||Horse driver||Risley, Beds|
RG13 piece 3231 folio 62 page 9
1911: Crich Common
|Alfred||Porter||Head||50||Contractor carter||Risley, Beds|
|Fred||Porter||son||18||Labourer wire mills||Crich|
|Annie||Porter||daughter||15||Factory sleeve hand, hosiery||Crich|
RG14PN20984 RG78PN1251 RD436 SD4 ED13 SN63
939 Register: Chapel Lane Crich
John W Porter b.18 July 1891; lorry driver brick works
Rosie Porter b.9 July 1895
Grace E Gregory (Porter) b.13 January 1920; silk hosiery sorter
Gladys M Wheatcroft (Porter) b.29 march 1921; rib cutting hosiery works
Irene Porter b.12 December 1923; linker hosiery
Betty Porter b.7 August 1926; school
one closed record