|Sherwood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regiment)||27721 & 200687|
Photo courtesy Ken Jackson
Photo Crich Heritage Partnership
Jack was born in about 1896 in Heage and was one of the first Crich volunteers, enlisting on 17th October 1914. He entered France on 26th June 1915 and was discharged owing to wounds on 29th January 1919. Whilst wounded he was a patient at the Isleworth VAD Hospital and was subsequently awarded the Silver War Badge.
Derbyshire Times and Chesterfield Herald
24 March 1917
CRICH SOLDIER WOUNDED
Mr and Mrs John Cauldwell, of Crich,, were informed at the end of last week that their son, Private Jack Cauldwell, of the Notts and Derby Regiment, had been wounded in the left arm and left eye by a German bomb, and that he was now in a French hospital. His regiment was at the time taking trenches. Jack, at the end of last year, was one night on sentry duty when a German threw a bomb and said "take that to be going on with." Luckily it did not explode, so Jack took it up and threw it back to the enemy lines where it burst.
Photo courtesy Christine Cummings
LOST HOSPITALS OF LONDON
Percy House, Auxiliary Military Hospital,Twickenham Road, Isleworth, Middlesex
Medical dates: 1915 - 1918
Medical character: Convalescent (military), Later, geriatric.
Immediately after war had been declared in 1914, work to organise first-aid training began in earnest all over the country.
In Middlesex the Oak Room at Hampton Court Palace was used for practice classes, and a Red Cross Voluntary Aid Detachment (V.A.D.) was formed from the residents and neighbours in the vicinity. However, it was announced that the Red Cross would not work in Middlesex. Instead, a St John's V.A.D. - the Middlesex/22 - was formed at Hampton Wick.
Various buildings were suggested for use as auxiliary hospitals but none were found to be suitable. Finally, it was arranged that the Middlesex/22 V.A.D. would work with four other Detachments in the Percy House Schools, an almost empty workhouse school in Isleworth, although this was far from the area. Funds were raised to alter and adapt the building, and to equip and furnish it as a hospital.
The Percy House Schools, lent by the Brentford Board of Guardians, were located to the west of the Brentford Union workhouse. Opened in 1883 by the politician Sir Charles Wentworth Dilke (1843-1911), the Brentford workhouse school had been enlarged in 1901 and renamed Percy House after a local landowner, the Duke of Northumberland. The 2-storey central administration block fronted onto Twickenham Road and contained offices, a chapel, a dining hall, the kitchens and storerooms. Flanking it were 3-storey wings containing accommodation for 280 children (boys in the north wing and girls in the south).
The Percy House Auxiliary Military Hospital opened in October 1915 with 300 beds for sick and wounded servicemen. It was affiliated to the King George Hospital in Stamford Street. The Hospital received a 3 shilling (15p) daily capitation grant per patient.
In 1916 Eastern Command needed another auxiliary hospital and a hotel - the Whitehall Hotel - was found suitable at Hampton Court, a site far more accessible for the Middlesex/22 V.A.D.
By 1917 the number of beds had been reduced to 281.
The Hospital closed on 31st December 1918. During its operational lifetime, some 4,989 wounded servicemen had received treatment. Of these, only one had died.
In 1925 two votive plaques were placed inside the nearby Catholic church of Our Lady of Sorrows and St Bridget of Sweden to bear witness to the recoveries made in 1916 and 1917.
(Author unstated) 1917 List of the various hospitals treating military cases in the United Kingdom. London, H.M.S.O.
Fenn CR 1919 Middlesex to Wit. London, St Catherine Press.
1918 Voters List Crich
Jack Cauldwell, Bennet's Lane, Crich; absent on military service.
Medal Rolls Index
Awarded the Victory, British War and 15-Star Medals.
Entered France 26 June 1915. Discharged 29 January 1919.
Silver War Badge
200687 L/Cpl Cauldwell, Jack, Notts & Derby, Badge B106,385, enlisted 17/10/14 discharged 29/1/19 wounded aged 22, served overseas.
Crich recruits October 1914
Ian P. Macdonald; William Burr; William Curzon; John Walker; Nelson Martin;
Jack Kneebone; William Frost; Walter (Wammy) Mellors; Jack Cauldwell;
Jack Porter; George Perry; Noble Tomlinson
Included with these recruits are: Ian Macdonald; Billy Curzon; Jack Porter; Walter (Wammy) Mellors; Jack Kneebone; Billy Burr; Noble Tomlinson; Tom Coleman; Billy Frost; Luke Coleman; Jack Cauldwell; George Perry. It is believed that John Roe, brothers Herbert and Steven Bollington (and possibly John) are also amongst this group.
1939 Register: Town End, Crich
John Cauldwell b.13 March 1896; general labourer, public works
Florence Cauldwell b.25 June 1897
Marjorie Jackson (Cauldwell) b.15 February 1922 ; hosiery worker
Jack Cauldwell married Florence Knowles in 1920, St Mary's Church, Crich
|John||Cauldwell||Head||40||Fitter in wire mill||Alderwasley|
|Frederick||Cauldwell||son||16||Pony driver in coal mine||Heage|
|Henry||Cauldwell||son||15||Pony driver in coal mine||Crich|
|Elizabeth||Cauldwell||daughter||13||Spinner at cotton mill||Crich|
|John||Cauldwell||Head||50||Fitter when employed||Alderwasley|
|Jack||Cauldwell||son||15||Pit pony driver||Heage|